Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Do Not Be Weary in Doing Good

 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. " Galatians 6:9

Visitors to Refreshed by the Word in the past month.
I have a confession to make...

Last year when I started this blog, my intention was to write uplifting messages from the Word so that anyone who needed a "faith lift" could come Refreshed by the Word and be encouraged and strengthened in their spiritual walk.

At first I was really excited and posted almost every day. Then life got busy, I got stressed and even a little discouraged. I had been posting for months, but wasn't even sure anyone was reading the blog. I got "weary in doing good."  So, for the past several months I have only written one or two devotionals.

Without going into all the reasons why, this week has been particularly discouraging for me.  I mentioned it to one of our Pastor's yesterday and he immediately began to pray for me. This morning I received an email with a link to a really encouraging article, then this afternoon, I did something I haven't done for about six months...I checked the stats on this blog.

In the past month there have been 450 visits to Refreshed by the Word - and the big surprise is that more than half of them were folks from outside the United States - 193 from Russia alone! I had no idea that God had been using my little blog to encourage people on the other side of the world.

Sometimes when you write a blog and there are very few comments, you begin to believe that no one is reading it and that can be discouraging, but now I know that even if people don't take the time to comment...they are reading and God is blessing them through His Word.

So, for those of you who have been visiting...thank you and please, come back often, because I intend to be faithful in posting new devotionals to encourage and refresh you in the faith.

And for those of you who are in ministry - I hope this encourages you to keep doing what God has called you to do, even when it seems that your efforts are not making a difference. They are, because God says...

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish,  so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."  Isaiah 55:10-11


--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2012 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

2 comments:

Denise said...

So true Jan; more than anything, blogs have enabled us to communicate what's in our hearts and minds to anyone in the world who wants to listen, and will will bear fruit for the glory of Jesus Christ. I am especially thankful for my network of bloggy friends; the posts I read, and the friends I have made are such a blessing to me! :)

Blessings and love,
Denise

Jan Christiansen said...

Hey Denise! Good to "see" you again. Isn't technology amazing? Who would have thought that we could sit in our own homes and communicate the love of Christ around the world. I love that God uses ordinary, every-day people to encourage others and point the way to a relationship with him. All He needs is a willing heart that's fully devoted to Him.

I popped over to your blog yesterday. Loved it!