Monday, June 10, 2013

Trusting God When There's Not Enough Money


"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

You know what I'm going to enjoy most about Heaven...well, being with God, of course, but second most, I'm going to enjoy not having to worry about money.

Seems like every time I turn around something needs repaired - car, truck...today it was the home air conditioning unit.  It would be wonderful if we had a well-stocked savings account when these things happened, but we don't. We're like millions of other people who just barely make it on our paycheck.

We've downsized until there's not much more we can cut out. We live frugally, shop at second-hand stores for most of our clothes and everything else. Shop at the least expensive grocery store in town, don't go out much and haven't been on vacation in 6 years.

Still, life keeps throwing these things at us. We've never really had credit card debt...until now. I hate putting things on a credit card, but what can you do when it's 107 degrees outside and your air conditioner breaks down? It would be nice if wages kept up with the cost of living, but even our employers are struggling.

Do you feel guilty about credit card debt? I do. The Bible talks about not being in debt to anyone and how the borrower is slave to the lender. Our pastor frequently encourages us to get out of debt, to live on less than we make, to save for emergencies, but how do you make that happen when you've already cut back to the bare bones and you're still just barely making it?


So, today the repair bill for the air conditioning unit added $669.00 to the credit card. Sigh...  I am not happy about that, but I can't imagine what it would be like not to have a card to put it on. We're facing 5 more months of triple digit temperatures. That's torture enough without having a place to escape from the heat.

Yep, sure looking forward to Heaven, where we won't have to deal with money, but until then, I will cling to the verse that says my God shall supply all my needs. I will trust Him, I'll keep giving my tithe and I will not let this stress me out. I'll take one day at a time, knowing that He is with me and will be with me through it all.

How about you?  How are you doing? Are money problems stressing you out? Do you find it difficult to trust God with your finances?

Father, we thank you that you have promised to meet our needs. You see that we do not spend frivolously and that we are faithful in giving. We rest in your loving care and trust you to bring in the money to pay down our debt as we apply ourselves to working our jobs and being wise with our spending. Thank you for the peace that settles in our hearts, displacing worry. We trust you. Amen


-------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it with your friends using the Facebook, Twitter and other share buttons below. Thanks!

4 comments:

Donna Schultz said...

Right there with you, sister! We wouldn't have had Christmas if we didn't use a credit card that we vowed we'd never have again. Longing for heaven right along with you! I do have to say that God is teaching us the radiance of less and the glory of contentment.

Jan Christiansen said...

And what a great lesson that is...the radience of less and the glory of contentment...I am happy with less "stuff". Less to maintain, store, remember where you put it!

Since it's just my husband and myself at home, we don't buy for each other at Christmas, just one thing each for my daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandsons...and those are not big things.

Shakin' the Foundation said...

I am right there with you. Robbing Peter to Paul has gottten old, and my stress level at times, well let's just say a rocket couldn't touch it as high as it soars. But HE does supply all my needs and for that I am most thankful :)
Great post!!!!
Stacey

Jan Christiansen said...

I hear you, Stacey!

I'm sure the enemy uses finances to stress us out all the time, so maybe the best defense against his attack is to continually thank God for His promise to provide for us...ahead of the need, reminding ourselves that God is faithful and letting the enemy know he can't make us distrust God.

Thanking you today, Lord, for providing for my every need...both now and forever! Amen