Wednesday, August 15, 2012

To Pout or Not to Pout...

that is the question.

How do you behave when things go "wrong" in your life? Do you take it in stride, knowing that life throws curve balls at everyone, or do you sink into what my Mama used to call the mullygrubs?

photo courtesy  mokra, rgbstock
mullygrubs: a despondent, sullen, or ill-tempered mood

What happens to your relationship with God when problems arise? Do you act as if you are being punished for something you aren't aware of? Do you cut off communication with Him? Or whine all the time about the problem?

I'm only asking because...ummm....well...er, this is how I act - sometimes. That's an awful thing to have to admit, but I'll admit it, because after reading this verse...

"People, trust God all the time. Tell him all your problems, because God is our protection. Selah" Psalm 62:8 (NCV),

I'm rather ashamed of my own behavior. God is good all the time. We should trust Him all the times. When problems hit (as they always do), we should tell Him our problems - not blame Him for them.

If we're really honest (and heck...let's be really honest here) most of our problems are of our own making. Not all - sometimes we're blindsided by troubles, but if we trace the crisis back to it's roots, it's often a consequence of a bad choice we made somewhere along the road. And then we blame God for letting it into our lives.

And here's another truth that's hard to face - sometimes God allows problems into our lives to shape our character and help us mature into the image of Christ. I mean, how can He teach us patience if we don't experience situations where it is necessary? How can we know He will provide if we're never in need? How can we understand the depth of His forgiveness if we never have to forgive someone who has hurt us?

So, the next time I go through a rough spot in life, instead of getting all pouty...instead of acting like I'm being punished unjustly, I'm going to be intentional about drawing closer to God in the stickiness of life. I'm going to spend lots of time talking (not whining) to Him, because He is my Protector, not my Punisher!

Selah!

(definition of Selah: "pause and think of that" (amplified bible) - in current venacular: word up!)

-------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it with your friends using the Facebook, Twitter and other share buttons below. Thanks!

(Copyright© 2012 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

And now that you said that, God will give you opportunities to apply it (at least this is my experience). :)

I just read that verse yesterday, in the Living Bible it reads: "O my people, trust him ALL the time. Pour out your longings before him, for he can help!"

Beautiful and true!!!

Awesome post, Jan!

Jan Christiansen said...

Ha-ha-ha - you're probably right, Rebecca, but today He blessed me with a wonderful day! Not too hot outside, wasn't overloaded with copy work. I just kept thanking Him all day!

Reformed rebel said...

Love this post Jan. I don't know if God is allowing my stuff that's going on to help us to mature or not. But i do know this...whether He is or isn't it is helping me. I talk to Him a whole lot more and I am learning. So even though I don't like it...it's pushing me closer to Him!

Blessings...Chelle

Denise said...

Hi Jan,

Oh it seems like life in general seems designed some days to test my ability to deal with frustration, and I know I have a choice on how I respond and react to these aggravations! :) I think that perhaps God puts these frustrations and challenges in my life for a reason and I don't have to view them as something that is taking away from my day, but rather think of them as opportunities that God is adding to my life!

Great post!
Blessings and hugs,
Denise

Jan Christiansen said...

Chelle & Denise - seems as if we're all in the same boat in the "sea of testing", but isn't it comforting to know that the Master is in the boat with us?

Thank you for dropping by and taking time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you all.

Blessings,
Jan

Anonymous said...

Just popping over to tell you I appreciate you and all of your sweet devotions and comments. You are such a wonderful encourager! I'm usually reading blogs from a reader on my phone, so I don't often make it over to the site to comment, but I enjoy reading your words! God bless you Jan!

Jan Christiansen said...

Aw, thank you, Stacy. Your words of encouragement tickle my heart!

Just Be Real said...

Jan wonderful post. Thank you for your realness. Oh, I find myself pouting too many times. Thank You Heavenly Daddy for Your mercies. Blessings to you Jan and your family.

Jan Christiansen said...

Thank you, Just Be Real, for stopping by and for the blessings. Sending blessings right back atcha!

Jan