Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lord, Show Us Your Glory

What is the glory of God?

 “Then Moses said, “I pray You, show me Your glory!” Exodus 33:18 (NASB)


This is the first mention in the Bible of the glory of God. Moses praying to see God. What believer doesn’t want to see the beauty, majesty and splendor of God in all his radiance and brilliance?

The Old Testament word for glory can be translated as a unique beauty, majesty or splendor that sets a person or object apart from all others. The New Testament word for glory signifies a radiance or brilliance. The glory of God is not an outward appearance, but the beauty, the radiance of His Spirit – the splendor of who He is and what He has done.

God could not, however, fully grant Moses’ request, for no man can see God and live, so He led Moses to a cleft in a rock and there placed His hand over Moses as His glory passed by.

After this encounter with the glory of God, Moses glowed so brilliantly that he had to wear a veil over his face when in the presence of others. The glory of God is not an outward beauty, it’s His greatness and His goodness and it can only be found in His presence. The more time we spend with God, the more we will reflect His glory.

~~~

Prayer: Father, Like Moses, we long to see you in all your glory. As you reveal yourself to us, may our spirits reflect you to the world around us.

Dig Deeper:  Read Exodus 33 & 34

------------------------------------------------------- 
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it with your friends using the Facebook, Twitter and other share buttons below. Thanks!

3 comments:

Felecia said...

Jan, I love this. I'm currently going through Beth Moore's "A Woman's Heart" which focuses on the Tabernacle and truly loved this account in my HCSB where God states in v.19(a) (Ex 33) "I will cause all My goodness to pass in front of you ... " it just gives me chills. Our God is ALL good. We should never forget that.
Blessings,
Felecia
PS: You look familiar. I used to live in Chandler (2005-2010) and attended Gilbert Vineyard. Have we ever met?

Jan Christiansen said...

Thanks for dropping by RBTW, Felecia. I've been enjoying your blog, too. I agree, the glory of God gives me chills just to think about what it will be like when we see Him in ALL His glory. I don't think we've met, but you probably remember me as the founder of the Fellowship of Christian Bloggers. Great to reconnect with you!

Felecia Clarke said...

Absolutely! That's it! Very happy to reconnect and pray you are doing well.