Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Thunderstorms and Wimpy Dogs

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. " Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

We had a short, but beautiful thunder storm tonight. My husband and I sat on the porch watching lightening streak across the sky and counting the seconds before we heard the thunder.  My Dad always said that if you begin counting as soon as you see the lightning, whatever number you stopped on, that's how many miles away the storm is.  He was probably making it up, but I still like to do it.

Our dogs Max and Oliver came out on the porch to watch, but ran back inside the house everytime they saw the lightening and heard the thunder.  They were scared to death (we have wimpy dogs).

I have to say that sometimes I react to the storms of life the same way my wimpy dogs do.  I want to run for cover and hide under the bed until the storm has passed.  I don't like storms in my life.  I want sunny days and cool breezes. But if I never faced a storm, how would I ever know that God is strong enough to see me through them and that He never leaves my side when I am walking through the storm?

It may sound funny, but just like I enjoy sitting outside and watching a thunderstorm with my husband, I am beginning to enjoy the storms of life when they come my way, because I know that at the end of the storm (which is usually pretty short-lived), I will have a deeper understanding of the grace and mercy of God.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for the storms of life that teach us that we can depend on you no matter what life throws at us and that we are never alone, but that you are right there with us, holding our hand and leading us through.  Amen

--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

No comments: