Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Don't let anyone put your fire out!


"Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord." Romans 12:11 (NIV)

I remember years ago when my cousin, who was big into drugs and womanizing turned to Jesus. He was a changed young man, on fire for the Lord and eager to share the love of Jesus to anyone who would stand still long enough to listen. There was a new spark of life in his eye.  Of course, as is the case with new Believers, he was now so conscious of avoiding sin in his own life that he sometimes felt the need to point out the sin in other people's lives. Some people just ignored him, some rolled their eyes at the over-eager young zealot, but some people got annoyed or even upset.  In fact one person complained to me about it and made the comment, "He's so heavenly minded that he's no earthly good. He'll settle down and that fire will go out."


What?


Is that even possible? I don't think so.


I understand what she meant. Some new believers lack the discernment to know how to allow the Holy Spirit lead you in sharing God with others in a way that is tactful and respectful. It can be offensive to those who don't know Christ, but as a fellow Christian we should understand their excitement and hope that fire never burns down, much less goes out.


That was early in my Christian walk. Right then I made up my mind that I would never let my zeal for Christ and for helping people know the saving grace of salvation through Him. I keep my fire stoked through the Word, prayer and fellowship with other believers.


How about you? Is your fire burning bright or is it down to barely glowing embers? The world need us to be ablaze with the glory of God so that we will be a light in the darkness.


How will you build up your fire today?



------------------------------------------------------- 

If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it with your friends using the Facebook, Twitter and other share buttons below. Thanks!

No comments: