Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Vanishing Word

"Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You." Psalm 119:11 (NKJV)

I subscribe to a writer's site called Writing Forward. Today they posted a Journal Prompt that included this picture:


The minute I saw the picture, I was reminded how often I find a scripture in the Bible that really hits home with me. It usually speaks directly to an issue I'm having or something that's been on my mind.

I underline it in my Bible and write it on an index card, which I keep with all the other index cards I've scribbled scriptures on so that I can have them handy when I want to review them.  So often, though, I find that after just a day or two the scripture that meant so much to me forgotten in the busyness of life. The words just seem to have fluttered away from my mind.

How much wiser would it be if I took the time to memorize the verses that mean so much to me? I'm sure I could do it. It wouldn't take long and then they would be with me forever - locked away in my memory bank, able to be called up at a moment's notice by the Holy Spirit when I need them.

Prayer:
Father, thank you for your Word, which is so important to me. It speaks to my every need if I will just listen and remember. Help me to hide your Word in my heart so that I might not sin against you, but also because your Word brings peace and comfort, healing and strength, courage and joy. Increase my ability to memorize your Word. Amen


--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

1 comment:

joy said...

Good reminder! That's a prayer I pray every time I sit down to read my Bible because I know that the Holy Spirit will bring the scriptures I read back to my remembrance when they are most needed if I ask Him to.
Also, I'm what's referred to as a "kinetic" learner. That means I learn by doing. The calligraphy writing I do of the scriptures has helped me abundantly in memorizing the Word.
Praise God! He meets each of us where we're at.