Saturday, November 17, 2012

Are You Wasting Away

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. " 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (ESV)

Have you ever noticed that the older people get, the more they talk about their aches and pains? I had an aunt that used to talk about someone named Arthur all the time and how he was "kicking up." It took me a while to realize that this guy named Arthur was really her arthritis. My grandma liked to talk about her bunions, psoriasis, diabetes and her old ticker.

I thought it was all gross...until now. When I hit 40, my body began to fall apart. I found out that heredity was not my friend and that many of the things the old folks used to talk about had been handed down to me.

While I do my best not to bore people with my ailments, it can be disheartening at times not to be able to do the things I once could and to know that it won't really get much better. At least not physically, but spiritually...my life is getting better and better in every way.

As I draw closer to old age, I draw closer to God and experience an increasing excitement that the time for us to be together forever is growing closer every day. It gives me a sense of urgency about focusing on the things that are truly important. It helps me realize that as distressing as life's problems can be, they are all just temporary. And it helps me to depend on God more and more for strength, wisdom and provision.

Growing old ain't for wimps, so while my body may be wasting away, I'm looking at those things that are unseen, but more real than what we can see - the eternal things like faith, hope, love, joy, heaven, angels, streets of gold, loved ones who've gone on before. No more bills, no more taxes, no more diets, no more pain or sickness, no more tears...

We sure have a lot to look forward to, don't we?

-------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it with your friends using the Facebook, Twitter and other share buttons below. Thanks!

(Copyright© 2012 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

No comments: