Tuesday, July 10, 2012

You can put away the duct tape!

"Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29


Image credit: martyhaas, 123RF Stock Photo
The past few days have been rough. I've been feeling discouraged and out of sorts with several things in my life. How did I handle it?  The wrong way!

I mumbled, I grumbled, I complained and whined. I nursed and rehearsed hurts and problems. I neglected my time with God and made those around me want to run the other way.

The words that were coming out of my mouth were anything but wholesome. While I pride myself on not being a person who swears, I know that negativity can do more harm than a cuss word ever could.  Negativity tears down not only the speaker, but everyone around them. Negativity is contageous and I was a carrier.

It's a wonder my friends and family didn't pull out a roll of duct tape and shut me up!

Fortunately, this evening God got ahold of me and gave me a good talking to. He reminded me that the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart are supposed to be acceptable to Him (Psalm 19:14)... Mine weren't.

He reminded that reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Proverbs 12:18)

He reminded me that the tongue has the power of life and death. (Proverbs 18:21)

Positive, faith-filled words bring life, contentment and hope to both the speaker and the hearer.

Negative, discouraging words bring death to the spirit and hopes of both the speaker and the hearer.

If I have to be a carrier of either life and hope or death and hopelessness...I choose life.

This girl is gonna be watchin' her words from not on, so you can put away the duct tape!

-------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it with your friends using the Facebook, Twitter and other share buttons below.

Thanks! (Copyright© 2012 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

2 comments:

Denise said...

Sometimes it can be so difficult to tame a tongue! :) Too often I have said words I wish I could take back, but I am learning that the secret to taming a tongue is to meditate on His words so that my thoughts become more like His thoughts.

Blessings and love Jan!
Denise

Jan Christiansen said...

I'm right there with ya, sista...in God's school of learning and growing and becoming more like Christ every day.

Blessings to you, Denise!