Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Do not be Easily Offended



Everybody is offended these days.
London Religious News Service reported that British Christians were incensed after the state-funded BBC decided to jettison the terms B.C. (Before Christ) and A.D. (Anno Domini or Year of our Lord) in favor of B.C.E. (Before Common Era) and C.E. (Common Era) in historical date references. 

This happened in 2011. Until this morning, I had never seen or heard a date referenced with those terms. I started a new devotional reading plan on the YouVersion app. It was and introduction to the book of James. They  noted that the book was written in 50 C.E..  What? I had to take the time to find out what C.E. meant and I came across this article (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/27/bbc-drops-bc-ad-dating-method_n_984081.html).


Why did the BBC make this change? Here's the reason they gave, "The BBC said in an official statement that since it is “committed to impartiality, it is appropriate that we use terms that do not offend or alienate non-Christians.”"


Seriously? How often do you hear the terms BC and AD mentioned on television shows? If the mention a year, it's usually just the year, not BC and AD. I seriously doubt that anyone is offended by these terms.


I have two questions:



  1. Are non-Christians really that easily offended?
  2. What about the Christians that they (the media) offend all the time?

Especially the BBC. I can't tell you how many times I have started watching a BBC show and turned it off because of vulgarity, which offends me. It's that easy, people. If something offends you, turn it off. Media is supported by viewers. If no one is watching, they die. We vote with our remotes.


Okay, I am done ranting. On a more positive note. I love the YouVersion app. (Bible.com) It has helped me grow in my walk with the Lord through many great devotional readings, Bible reading plans and the ability to share what I'm learning with others. I'm not sure why they allowed the C.E. reference. It probably slipped through unnoticed. What did I do? I switched reading plans. I switched "channels" and found a delightful new plan called Presence-Filled Prayer: Experiencing God in Prayer.


The first day's reading really challenged me to be honest with God. There was something bugging me that I just kept stuffing down. I know God was aware of it, but I had never addressed it with Him and allowed Him to forgive me and show me how to work through the issue. It encouraged me to then, sit in His presence, listen for any directions, allow Him to minister to me. What a wonderful time I had with the Lord this morning.


If you haven't discovered the YouVersion app yet, check it out. You'll be blessed by it daily.


(This blog post was written on March 5th, 2019 A.D.)



------------------------------------------------------- 
If you enjoyed this post, please feel free to share it with your friends using the Facebook, Twitter and other share buttons below. Thanks!

2 comments:

May my words outlive me. said...

What a timely article. We live in a society that loves to be offended and looks for things to be offended about. I love your A.D. at the end.

Jan Christiansen said...

Isn't it crazy how easily offended some people are, but crazier still that they then insist (and are accommodated) that the world change the way we do things so their feelings aren't hurt? (Shaking my head at what our coddled society has come to.)