Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Journey


The journey was hard
The way, clouded - confused
Alone I struggled
No one to show the way

I thought I found it
Only to lose it again
Bad decisions
Brought much pain

But He was there
Lighting the way
One step at a time
back to the foot of the cross

I thought I had arrived
But to my surprise
My journey had just begun
The hardest part lay ahead

The transformation process
The steady walk of faith
Through good times
Through hard times

Until I reached the valley
The valley of the shadow of death
Until I lay down my will
Until I relinquished it all

And then a deeper journey began
Down the path to truly knowing God
To dying to self in order to live for him
To take His will as my own

Moving forward, pressing onward
I move to the rhythms of His grace
Until the final leg of the journey
When I shall see him face to face

But, will that be the end?
Or will it be just the beginning
Of another journey-
One that will continue on into eternity?

--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved

12 comments:

Victor Travison said...

Beautiful poem, Jan. In answer to your last question, when we end our journey here on Earth, we'll begin a new one that will never end. But then, you already knew that, right? ;)

~ VT

Tracy Krauss said...

I agree with Victor. its a beautiful poem. thanks for sharing

From Carols Quill said...

Beautiful, Jan. I, too have wondered if death will take us to the next part of the journey.

Joy Books said...

I love this! It is put so well and made to feel like just what it is, a journey. Thanks for posting this.
I love you,
Joy

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Beautiful

Sheila Hollinghead said...

Good job! Thanks for sharing.

TraciB said...

Beautifully written, Jan - and I like that you laid it out like the straight and narrow path we're called to walk. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...I love this, Jan! I could feel myself drawn deeper and deeper into the journey, eager to know what came next. Thank you! Beautiful poem.

Jan Christiansen said...

Thank you so much, everyone. I haven't written much poetry, so I thought I would give it a try. Blessings to you all!

Sarah said...

Very beautiful, Jan! :)

Adam Collings said...

I really enjoyed your poem. In a way, our journey is in fact a journey of journeys. Sometimes people think that the journey ends at our salvation, but that is just the first step of a new journey - and as you point out - it is not an easy journey following Christ. It's hard to imagine that final journey after we go to be with Him, but I am sure it will be spectacular.

Unknown said...

Love it, Jan. Thank you so much for sharing. :D