Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Racing Mind


"I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me." Psalm 16:7

Did you ever have one of those nights when your head hits the pillow, but your mind refuses to slow down long enough for you to fall asleep?  This happens to me when I have a decision to make or I'm contemplating a new story line for a novel or when I'm facing a situation that befuddles me. (Befuddles-is that word still used?)

My mind will race through all the scenarios I can imagine, all the possible choices I could make and the pros and cons of each one. I toss and I turn wishing I had a remote that would just turn my brain off so I could get a good night's sleep.

I came across this scripture this morning and I think it holds the key to my sleeplessness. If I will quiet my mind and focus on the Lord when I lay my head on that pillow, praising Him for who He is and what He's done in my life, then I can rest assured that He will instruct my heart and help me to work things out, even while I'm asleep.

Prayer:
Thank you, Lord for the assurance that you have the answers to any dilemma I may be worrying over. Teach me to put my mind at rest and just focus on you, trusting that you will instruct my heart. Give me a good night's sleep tonight as I relax and let you unclutter my brain. Amen

--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

2 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

I love this Scripture verse. There are many nights when I lie awake with worry ane fear. I am learning to replace those emotions with Scripture.

Blessings,
Debbie

Jan Christiansen said...

Here's a verse that I found last week that helps with my racing mind at bedtime...

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8

I keep it on my nightstand, now and read it just before going to bed, repeating it as I allow my mind to slow down and fall asleep. It helps!