Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You have not because you ask not.

"You do not have because you do not ask God. " James 4:2b (NIV)

This verse makes me wonder how many blessings we miss out on because we have neglected to ask God for what we need.

Often when there's a financial need in my life, I do several things.  I try to figure out a solution, I check to see what resources are available to me, I might borrow from a friend, look for extra work to make a little money, try to cut back here and there, call in a favor, worry, wonder and stew about it or I might just push the thoughts away and tell myself I'll deal with it later.

How goofy!

God has all the resources we need and He has clearly stated in the verse above that often we don't have what we need because we have not taken the time to stop and ask Him for it.

Maybe it's because we think He already knows what we need, so why ask, maybe it's because we don't want to bother Him with our day-to-day needs, or maybe it's because we feel guilty because we know we have mismanaged  the resources He has already given us and that's why we're in the spot we're in.

Whatever the reason, He has said.."You do not have because you do not ask."  So, let's ask.  If that means we have to repent for the way we've handled things, so be it, but we need to open the lines of communication, be obedient and ASK for what we need, then keep our eyes open for the many ways He has of meeting our needs.

Prayer:
Thank you, Father for opening our eyes to the fact that we often have not because we ask not. We come to you today in repentance if need be, to admit that we have not handled our finances right. We ask you to forgive us and to help us to do that better from this point forward. But right now, Lord, we are in need and we ask you to supply our needs and we rejoice because your word is true and we can trust that our needs will be met. Thank you for the awesome privilege of knowing and serving you. Amen

--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

2 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

A timely reminder to pray for ALL my needs. There are times when I simply figure things out myself and pray later.

Jan Christiansen said...

I think we all tend to do that, Deb - I know I do. Thanks for dropping by. Have a blessed day!