Monday, July 25, 2011

I Aim to Please!

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him."Philippians 2:13 (NLT)

For many years I was a people-pleaser, anticipating the needs and wants of others, doing what I thought would win their approval and affection, until I eventually saw that there is no pleasing some people and that living my life to please others was not God's plan.

His plan is for me to enjoy my life and to live it to please Him. The difference is, that I don't have to work to win God's approval and affection. He gives that to me freely as I live my life in Christ, doing the things I know He wants me to do and refraining from the things that he warns me not to do.  The coolest thing about that is that it's God, Himself, who gives me the desire to do what pleases Him, then he gives me the power to live that kind of life. I know I can't live it under my own power, because my human nature pulls me toward things that are not good for me and not pleasing to God, but He gives me the strength to say "no" to those things and the power to say "yes" to those things that I may not be drawn naturally to do, but will benefit me.

What a joy it is to walk through each day knowing that my life is pleasing to God. Sure, I slip up sometimes, but He always steers me back on course.  I'm so glad that I am not out here on my own!

Prayer:
Thank you, Father, for being the guiding force in my life, for helping me to live in a way that pleases you so that I can relax and enjoy my life. I love you! Amen
--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

3 comments:

Joy said...

Amen! Thanks for living that kind of life right out loud. You are a blessing and encouragement to me.
"Thank you God for friends that help sharpen us while loving us! Amen."

Denise said...

I can certainly relate! My heart certainly desires to please others, but (sometimes) I expect a little something in return! But this is not really what is in my heart; I want to be joyful and be a peace-maker just like He would do, just as He has instructed us to do. :) :)
Thanks for the great post...
Denise

Jan Christiansen said...

Thank you, Joy and Denise! You are both blessings to me.