Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ya Get Whatcha Give!

"Do not be deceived; God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit , from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people." Galatians 6:7-10 (NIV)

Do you have children or grandchildren who treat each other rudely?  I have two wonderful grandsons, who on occasion, treat each other with....how shall I say this?...less than brotherly love.

Yesterday, one was being rude to the other and of course, his brother retaliated in kind.  Since they were in my car, and therefore a captive audience, they got the good old "You Reap What You Sow" speech (sermonette) from Grandma.

This morning as I was thumbing through my Bible, I ran across these scriptures in Galatians and took a minute to highlight them.  As I did so, I was reminded that this is a immutable law from God.  We will reap what we sow.

If we sow love, kindness, generosity, sympathy, compassion and understanding, God will put people in our lives that will give these things right back to us...and if we are rude, selfish and uncaring - ignoring the needs of others, God will put people in our lives that will give these things right back to us.

Why? Because that's His promise: "Do not be deceived; God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." and God always keeps His promises.

Prayer:
Father, help me to remember to operate my daily life, not from my selfish sinful nature, being unkind to those around me, but to operate out of the fruits of the Spirit that You have given to me... 

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." (Galatians 5:22-23a)

and help me to remember to extend love to others...not love as the world defines it, but love as You define it:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

These are the things I want to sow, so that I may reap them in my own life. Amen

--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

No comments: