Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Light that Shines in the Darkness

"4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God...6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,”made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:4-6 (NIV)

Sometimes it's easy for me to get frustrated with those around me who have heard the gospel, but refuse to believe it. I wonder if they're just stubborn or if I didn't explain it right or if maybe my life is so flawed that they look at me and doubt the validity of a life-changing gospel. I wonder how they can hear about the incredible love that brought Jesus to earth and sent Him to the cross to die for our sins...about His resurrection and still not believe.

This morning, during my quiet time with God, I read these two verses and it gave me a new understanding about those who don't respond to the gospel message.

According to verse 4 above, the enemy has blinded their minds, so that they can not see the light of the gospel or the glory of Christ.

So, how did we come to believe? I mean, hadn't that same enemy blinded our minds to the light of the gospel?

The answer is in verse 6 - God made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

It's God who opens our blinded minds and sheds light into our hearts, making it possible for us to see the truth of the gospel so that we might believe and accept Jesus as our Savior.

This information gives me another way to pray for those people I love who are not yet believers, because I'm sure that my salvation is a direct result of the prayers of those who loved me, those who had shared the gospel with me many times.  I can tell you their names.

Who was praying for you? Aren't you glad they did?  So, let's not neglect praying on a regular basis for those unbelievers that God has placed in our lives.  Without your prayers, it's doubtful their blinded minds will ever break free to believe.


Let's pray...


Prayer:
Father, God, I ask that you open the minds of those who have been blinded to the light of the gospel by the enemy. Let your light of truth shine brightly in their hearts, breaking through the darkness and the lies that they have believed - the muddled thoughts that keep them from seeing Jesus for who He really is.  Destroy the works of the enemy, that the glory of Christ will shine and that those who have been deceived will come to know the freedom that is Him. Amen

*If you have loved ones you are praying for, be specific. Insert their names into this prayer and pray for them on a continual basis. Never give up because each time you pray for them, God sends His Holy Spirit to speak truth to them. Remember..."When a believing person prays, great things happen." James 5:16 (NCV)



--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

No comments: