Monday, April 4, 2011

Growing Up

"When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things." 1 Corinthians 13:11 (NLT)

While doing some cleaning, I came across some little boy toys and infant clothing belonging to my grandsons, Ethan and David, who just turned 12 and 10.  These items brought back many treasured memories of when they were babies and toddlers.

How we loved to sing songs about dinosaurs and read their favorite book about a grandma who baked such wonderful pies that she was kidnapped by pirates so she could bake pies for them.  We made regular trips to the park where I would push them high in the swings as they squealed with delight (or fear - I'm not sure which).

I miss those days, but as I look at these boys now, fast becoming young men, my heart swells with pride. Ethan has just finished a young leaders course at church and has taken on the task of greeting other kids as they come into their youth group and making them feel welcome.  David is becoming a leader at school and loves to sing contemporary Christian songs. (I think he's going to be a worship leader.) I look at their parents, who are pouring themselves into these boys and I think what a blessed woman I am!

It's hard to watch them set aside their little boy ways, to not be able to cuddle them on my lap or to make up silly songs just to hear them laugh (now they just roll their eyes), but I can watch them grow into fine young men who love God with all their heart and love others. It's another phase of Grandmothering that just makes me burst with pride and thanksgiving to God.

Prayer:
Father, we thank you that as our children and grandchildren grow, we can still be a vital part of their lives. We can bring joy and love and just as important, we can pray for them, trusting that You will direct their footsteps and bring them in adulthood as fully devoted followers of Christ. Thank you for all you're doing in their lives. I'm glad that the frequent, fervent prayers of a righteous Grandmother are being heard and answered. Amen

--------------------------------------------------------
(Copyright© 2011 Jan Christiansen. All rights reserved.)

1 comment:

Carol Moncado said...

/sniffle/

My sis! I <3 her!

I love you too, but I've talked to you a lot more recently than Stac.

Miss her!